If you’re looking for a job and not making any progress, consider stepping back and looking at your overall job application process. Landing that dream job is about more than just having the perfect resume. Consider taking these approaches to step up your job hunting game.
- Get connected with Big Shoes Network – http://www.bigshoesmidwest.com/, it’s a great aggregator of communications jobs in the Midwest and will give you a great sense of positions opening up.
- Begin networking through Chamber of Commerce events like the young professionals group outings. There are also communication-focused groups such and SMP to check out. Chambers also have additional networking events that you might benefit from, just check out their websites.
- Volunteer – a great way to meet people and get experience in communications is to join a non-profit board or committee. Find a group whose mission you relate to, and contact them to see how you can get involved.
- Freshen up your resume – Have one (or two, or three, or four) people take a look at your resume. Maybe you missed correcting a glaring error or have omitted important information. The more eyes on it, the better.
- Fill out your LinkedIn profile – Make sure to have a professional-looking headshot uploaded, and put up as much information as possible because potential employers want to see that you have taken the time to update your online brand.